St Chad visited Smethwick in circa CE650. There has been a church on this site since 1838.
It was originally part of the ancient parish of Harborne. Holy Trinity became a parish in its own right in 1842. Smethwick grew rapidly in the second half of the 19th century and in 1888 a larger church was built to seat 800 people. When Smethwick was an independent County Borough, the church held a yearly Civic Service and still hosts civic celebrations such as for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
A major re-organisation of the church building
in 1975 saw a reduction in the seating and the provision of a parish hall, church office and
foyer, and kitchen and toilet facilities.
In 1978, the parishes of Holy Trinity and the neighbouring St Alban’s were united. In 1992,
the parish was further enlarged by the addition
of St Pauls Parish, West Smethwick and in 1998,
St Stephen and St Michael’s joined Holy Trinity
to form the Parish of the Resurrection.
This last amalgamation resulted in a second reorganisation of the church. The pews were replaced by flexible (and comfortable) seating
and the side chapel separated from the main church by a glass screen, which features stained glass brought from the churches which amalgamated onto this one site.
For more History of the Building Click here